About Me

My photo
Jamie, that's my name. I'm a Norfolk meterosexual who likes women outside his own family.

Sunday 31 October 2010

Music Magazine Questionnaire

When I was thinking about my music magazine I decided it was a good idea to do a questionnaire. To start off with some basic thoughts from people I used a sample of 10 teenagers to fill in my first attempt at a questionnaire as to gain some knowledge on people's thoughts about music magazines.

My first question was about people's age, I wanted to find out the age of the people I was asking, 80% were 16 or over which was my ideal age range, with 1 person being 11 or 12 and one other being 15. It was good to ask people 15, 16 and over as my magazine is very much a teenage aimed magazine. One person asked was not a teenager, this is good also as it means that I can find out opinions from other age ranges.

My second question was really about music genres, I feel my magazine is a very much aimed at a the market of Rock, Alternative or even Metal so it is important many people like this. As you can see from the bar graph only 3 people weren't big fans of these 3
genres.

Questions 3 and 4 were very much linked, as question3 asked about how often people read music magazines. Of the people asked a poor 60% said they never read music magazines which then gave limited answers to question 4.

I feel question 4 was too open as it askde what music magazines people read, there were a wide variety. What I could see though was that people that liked the Metal genre read magazines relating to that market and same with people who read Pop magazines.

Question 5 was an important question as it asked about what attracted people to music magazines. The cover and the articles were the 2 most selected things people purchased a music magazine for. The other things people looked at were price and prizes.
I think that this question will be a big help in how I sculpt my music magazien as it shows that most people look for these 2 things to be good quality in a music magazine.

Question 6 wasn't too important for me with my cover as I won't actually be selling my magazine but I want it to be as authentic as possible, so having a price people like to pay adds to the look of the magazine. Most people said £1 to £2.99 was ok, at the moment my magazine is priced at £3.99 so I might decide to bring the price of this down.

Question 7 is very much like question 5, it asked what peoples' favourite part of a music magazine was. Most people said either the articles, cover or free gift. This again backs up the fact I have to write the articles well and put a lot of attention into the front cover.

With Question 8 I had a selection of 4 covers; Classic Rock, Metal Hammer, NME and then my Uprising and asked people their favourite with question 9 asking reasons for this.
The equal winner for the most preferred covers were Classic Rock and Uprising. Reasons were that these covers were not overpacked and that the colours worked well.

For my final question I asked people to say what they would change about my cover, Uprising. Some people said to slightly enhance the colours on it and change the font type and size for some bits.

I think these answers can be quite helpful as I know what to base my magazine ideas around and try hard to think about what is important in a music magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment