About Me

My photo
Jamie, that's my name. I'm a Norfolk meterosexual who likes women outside his own family.

Friday 29 October 2010

Music Magazine, Front Cover 1st Attempt

I think my first attempt keeps to my layout quite a bit, I have made sure that I have kept to the layout. Looking at my magazine I can easily say that it is rather unconventional compared to normal magazines.

The masthead acts as a logo as well as a normal magazine title. I used the font HARD ROCK which I downloaded from www.dafont.com. I think the title works really well as it makes the magazine look grungy which is good for a rock magazine. The title is rather large which means that it is very eye-catching. I used a dark blue tint behind the lettering so it stands out well and it often signifies calm things, and that is what the colour does. It helps to reinforce the sea, which is in the background but is in black and white.

The puff at the bottom is also written in HARD ROCK but I think I will substitute this for the font, Fucked Plate. I think the fonts I use are important as they need to show anarchy because this is a rock magazine. I want to substitute the font at the bottom because I think that it is quite hard to understand.

The main image is of someone standing with his back to the camera and arms out. This is unconventional for a music magazine as usually the artist is facing the audience, but having him facing away means the reader will want to go on and read to find out more because they know limited information about the artist. Also the pose he is in is reminiscent of Jesus, so it makes him seem very important. An important feature to note is that the artist is on top of a cliff facing out to the sea, it signifies coming out to the world and showing that he is here and important. He is high up when on the cliff so it shows power and importance. The green around his feet is there to show new life, green often symbolises this and this is a new artist so it shows that he is important and new.

The stories to the side of the main image I think work well as they fit around the image, I think I will edit the stories as some of them would be better for being different entirely. The font I am using for those at the moment is quite standard so I am going to change that for a different font which would work well for my niche market of rock music.

If I had to say 2 things I liked about my magazine it would be the main image as it's different so it would be more noticeable if in the shops. Another feature I like is the title, I think the downloaded font works really well to show what type of music genre this magazine is aimed at.

A couple of things I think I could improve upon would be the font at the bottom, to make it easier to understand but keep in mind the grungy look I am going for with the front cover. I would also change the shading of the black and white behind, I think I want to change the contrasts on the image just to make sure I get the perfect colours.

I like my magazine cover but will be expanding on it some more.

4 comments:

  1. I think I've pinpointed the problem I have with the main image - Arron doesn't have a shadow and that's why the image looks obviously photoshopped to me. Maybe you could photoshop a shadow in?

    Otherwise, I think the background is very effective, especially with the perspective you've used - makes the beach looks like it stretches out for miles and looks very 'free'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A shadow? That's going to take ******* ages to do. I will attempt it but it's hard to do, but the image of Arron I have I don't have a shadow on because I took it against the wall. Also when I took the beach shot it was a miserable day so there was limited light to produce ashadow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He just looks like he needs something underneath him - he looks like he's floating, which detracts from the cover a bit.

    ReplyDelete